Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Aaron's movie reviews

Ok, while I havent been able to see as many movies as I would like to have seen, I figure this would be a good time to give, the maybe 2 people that read this, my thoughts on movies I have seen recently, and what movies I am looking forward to.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
A- I think this movie is definitely one of the better films of the HP series. Obviously as they are growing up, the content gets more mature. I'm glad David Yates is directing the next 2 (for those of you who dont know, the last film will be broken up into two as per all of the important content.) and I think that this is Daniel Rad's best acting... My only complaint was the ending. Obviously we all know who dies, but the scene should have been more... dramatic, emotional... im not sure, but I just didnt feel the loss as big as they could have made it. overall.. go see it.

(500) Days of Summer
B++
I was going to give it just a B+ but... it really is a good movie, I just dont think I can put it in the A category. The director, who has come from directing music videos, stepped in the way of the story too much. I LOVE artistic directing, but at times it was distracting. The story is about Summer seen through the eyes of Tom.. and how our rose-tinted glasses can make us see more than what is really there and can therefore skew our reality. The parts are cast perfectly and played perfectly. My biggest critique is the director getting in the way... and the fact that it reflects my life too much that it makes me depressed! Moving on.

Away We Go.
A-
From director Sam Mendes, I walked out of the movie feeling happy, optimistic, encouraged about life. I guess that is a reason we all go to movies. We know this life is pretty messed up and things can look really shitty at times, but somewhere inside of us, we can choose to believe it will work out. John Krasinski, Maya Rudolph play off of each other amazingly. And the supporting cast is unbelievable. (it just took me 5 times to try to spell that word without spell check... damn our education system and microsoft). Go see the movie it is great!

Sadly, that is all the movies I have seen recently. My goal for the next 2 weeks:
G.I. Joe... which I know will suck but I have to go see it.
The Hurt Locker.. which is being hailed as one of the best war movies ever made
District 9... I'm a sucker for aliens and peter jackson (I KNOW he didnt direct it)

What I wont be seeing is:
The Time Traveler's Wife... of TTW as Dudney puts it. I might actually have her write a review of it, come to think of it.
Bandslam... because who besides tweens care about it.
and sadly I wont be seeing Inglorious Bastards... SHOCK! but I am trying to stay away from movies with just gratuitous violence... and lets face it... its Tarintino.. with Eli Roth... its going to be over the top.

ok.. that's all for now.

1 comment:

L-Kat said...

hey big guy. you're blog's slacking. just lettin' ya know.