Tuesday, June 24, 2008

1 month to go

So I officially have 3 weeks and 4 days until I fly to California to begin my training and transition into a new period of my life. Days are flying by, and I am trying to make sure I get everything finished before I leave.

Last weekend I had a garage sale to raise money for the trip. We went to the warehouse and cleaned out anything and everything that had been setting up there for a while. I made a big decision to sell the majority of my dvd's, my surround sound system, and a lot of my electronics... I'm sure it isn't a big deal to most, but to a guy who loves watching movies, it is. especially the dvd collection. So Saturday we had our first customers at 7:10, we officially started at 8, and by 8:00, we had already sold over $200 worth of stuff. I felt very blessed. God kept the rain away, kept people coming, everyone was buying something, even if it was just a dollar or two. By the end of the day, we had raised over $900. Amazing!
That is 1/10th of what I need for my total support. Pretty awesome, just from old stuff.
So, now that the garage sale is done, I am going to be following up with friends and family that I mailed support raising letters to. I got them out late, my fault... well, my oral surgeons fault for making my recovery for my wisdom teeth surgery last almost 3 weeks... but I think I will be getting some responses soon.
I also just got my new macbook!!!! its pretty awesome. I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and get one while I could still get a college discount. not only did I get $200 knocked off the price, but I got a free Ipod touch. Its pretty cool. not nearly as much can go on it as my 80 gig (the new one is only 16 gig) but 16 will still hold a lot of music and I can just update it if I need to before trips.
I also just bought a "Learn to speak Czech" program. It has 15 hours of language training.. and I can put it on my ipod and listen to it as I am working or traveling. I really hope to at least have a small base of the language before i get there. It was the Pimsleur program, which cost a bit, but I felt I would rather spend the money and get one that was well known and had good reviews than a cheap one that didn't work. I should get that in in a few days. I will let you know how that goes.

On the financial side again, I have raised/made/donated myself altogether around $5250, pretty cool. but I still need around $4000 more for the year, $2000 of that before I leave in August. Please all be praying about that.

My last day of work is on the 3rd. My office is having a going away party for me and 2 other co-workers that are leaving.. but that will give me 2 weeks to hang out with friends and family before I go. If you want to hang out and see me before I go.. let me know!

Also, if you want to be on my newsletter list, send me your address: atrector@yahoo.com

Prayer requests:
Mental preparation for the transition
Finish all logistics of moving out and tying up all lose ends.
My team that I will be serving with in Czech.
Finances
Start praying for my health.. I know I will be stressed, and I get sick when I get stressed.. and I don't want that.
That I will find someone on my team who can be my travel partner!
That I have a blast!

Love you all!
Aaron

1 comment:

Zach Barnes said...

dude, macbooks are the bomb. I'm so happy to hear someone will carry on the legacy here. I'll leave some movies here for you, don't worry. good luck. can I ask to be on your newsletter now? or should i send an email to your yahoo. if not, my email is zachinczech@gmail.com guess i won't be in czech anymore... maybe i'll have to think of a new email... :( later man